- 4 whole tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 fresh green bird’s eye (or Thai) chiles, halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon red chile powder
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Tomato Chutney goes with everything: Whether you need a side dish for your lavish feast, or a dip for your appetizers, this easy-to-make chutney is just what you want with your food.
Preheat the broiler to high and position the rack 6 to 8 inches from the broiler. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment.
Place the tomatoes and garlic on the baking sheet and broil until cooked through and starting to blacken, 8 to 10 minutes. Combine broiled tomatoes and garlic with the remaining ingredients in a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour the mixture into a serving bowl.